My Real Estate Investment Firm has engaged Jamie for several years to conduct litigation on our behalf in several “Breach of Contract” cases. We have always found Jamie to be pleasant, accommodating and diligent in follow-through on correspondence and commitments. We have also observed that he has pursued the opposition with diligence and persistence. His fees have been billed at his quoted rate. We have also found him easy to do business with, for he returns telephone calls promptly, when he is unable to answer them directly.
— Don W. Low, D. J. Estates Ltd.
Education & Accreditations
Member, Law Society of British Columbia (1987)
University of British Columbia, LLB (1986)
University of Victoria, B.A. (1982)
Professional & Other Associations
Regular guest speaker for various strata organizations
Contributing author for various strata publications, books and newsletters
Past President and former Chairperson of the Canadian Condominium Institute and Vancouver Chapter of the Canadian Condominium Institute
Member of CCI Vancouver
Member of CHOA
Member of PAMA
Member of SPA BC
- Successfully acted for a strata corporation and its management company to defend a negligence claim involving the disclosure of information in connection with a defective building envelope.
- Successfully acted for a strata corporation in an arbitration to have an owner remove windows which were installed without the permission of the strata corporation.
- Successfully acted for an owner in Court to compel a strata corporation to comply with its repair and maintenance obligations.
- Successfully acted for a strata corporation in the British Columbia Court of Appeal regarding a dispute between an owner and the strata corporation with respect to the right to common property parking spaces.
- Acted as arbitrator on disputes between strata lot owners and strata corporations involving bylaw enforcement and common property use.
- Acted as legal counsel for several Court appointed Administrators under the Condominium Act and the Strata Property Act.
- Acted for strata corporations in reviewing and drafting bylaws and rules pursuant to the provisions of the Strata Property Act.
- Acting as mediator to successfully resolve a dispute between commercial and residential strata lot owners regarding separate section bylaws.
- Successfully enforced a pet prohibition bylaw in the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
- Successfully enforced a rental limit bylaw in the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
- Successfully enforced an arbitration award in the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
- Successfully utilized the Judicial Review Procedure Act to set aside an arbitration award against a strata corporation.
Jamie’s focus is on providing prompt, efficient and effective service to his clients and being able to provide reliable and sound legal advice.
For over 35 years, he has represented clients at all levels of court in British Columbia, as well as at the Human Rights Tribunal, the Civil Resolution Tribunal and disputes involving the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia.
Jamie practices extensively in the area of strata law and strata governance and regularly advises strata corporations and their strata councils, strata owners and strata managers in dealing with a wide range of strata-related services including:
- Warranty claims
- Strata governance
- Building remediation and major repair projects,
- Collection of strata fees, special levies, chargebacks and insurance deductibles
- Strata loans
- Bylaw drafting and bylaw enforcement
- Rental issues
- Human rights matters
- Privacy matters
I have had the pleasure of working with Jamie for many years. Jamie is one of the few lawyers my strata council clients have used for Demand Letters to owners in serious arrears, assisting with Small Claims Court Actions, and representing them in court cases. Our office always offers choice of qualified lawyers to strata corporation clients. I have received positive feedback to Jamie's professionalism, timeliness and acting in the best interest of his clients.